Dev Diary #48 – Performance Havok
In this week’s dev diary, Julian takes you through a very cool and rather educational presentation about improving the performance of the game!
- Alert: a lot of coder art is shown, so brace yourselves.
- The Havoc Beam. The ultimate elemental spell combination, it’s super, it’s powerful, and it’s still in the works.
- Julian talks about performance optimization. It is very important to us that the game runs as smoothly as possible, of course.
- The terraforming now runs on a different CPU core. We’re getting a lot more frames per second now.
- Our biggest level was a little crazy and unplayable at first. We used far too many and detailed colliders. We optimized them to find the sweet spot between collision detection and frame rate.
- Performance was also improved with the creation of occlusion culling data. In other words, only objects that can be seen are rendered. Take a look, it is pretty cool seeing it work!